The Beginners Guide To Home Decor
Some times we don’t try something simply because we lack the knowledge not the ability. This beginners guide to home decor is the perfect place to start.
From small one bedroom apartments to completely gutting and renovating houses I have learned a lot about home decorating in the twenty-three years that I’ve lived on my own.
I bought my first home when I was 26 years old. It was a 100 year old fixer upper in a slightly sketchy part of town. It was bright and lovely but it needed a lot of work. Since that time hubby and I have completely renovated three homes together. It’s been several years since we finished the interior of this home and the itch to renovate is strong.
What Is Home Decor
Home decor refers to the items that you put together to form your home’s overall appearance.
This includes: furniture, appliances, paint colours, fabrics, layout, accessories, finishes, art, and flooring. It’s a vast subject but one that is worth understanding. After all, we spend the majority of our time in our homes so why not make it as appealing as possible?
Common Misconceptions About Home Decor
Sometimes the thing stopping us from decorating is the not knowing. Knowing the answers to some of these common misconceptions will help give you the confidence you need to start tackling your home decorating.
The Beginners Guide To Home Decor: Getting Started
Sometimes it’s the getting started that proves the most difficult. These tips will help get you over that first hurdle and will give you the starting points you need to….. well, get started.
- Educate yourself – A little bit of education goes a long way and getting that information is easier now than ever. Take a home decorating course or an e-course. Check out home decor blogs, Youtube videos, magazines. and books for ideas.
- Find out what you like – Seems a bit obvious but it is really important. You need to know what you like. So, turn to Pinterest, and home decorating magazines for inspiration.
- Start small – To build your confidence start with a small project. Take you time and do it right. The finished look will make you feel so proud that you can then build from there.
- Plan it out – A plan goes a long way. Mood boards are a great way to do this. Having everything planned out and in one place will keep you organized, on budget, and will help you to end up with the look you dreamed of.
- Set a budget – Creating a realistic budget will help you stay on track and will challenge you to think outside the box.
- Just do it! – Armed with all your new found knowledge and a plan it’s time trust yourself and just start.
Tips For Amazing Home Decor
Now that you know how to go about starting the decorating process, and you have a few ideas circulating in your creative brain, it’s time to take things up another level. How do you decorate your home in a way that will amaze?
Working With Colour
Take the stress out of planning your next home decorating project. This free, downloadable decorating planner is jam packed full of helpful tips, fill in planning pages, budget guide and so much more!
Beginners Guide To Home Decor Common Questions Answered
There are always a few questions that always seems to crop up when it comes to DIY home decorating. Let’s answer a few here.
Jenny’s Finishing Thoughts On The Beginners Guide To Home Decor
You don’t need to be a professional home decorator to create a beautiful home for yourself and your loved ones. What you need is the gumption to take on the project. Then, armed with the advice and tips from this beginner’s guide you can confidently start. Rome wasn’t built in one day and neither will your home but keep pursuing knowledge and one day it will be.
Let me know in the comments below what you are specifically interested in learning more about. How can I best help you?
Did you find this post helpful or inspirational? Save This Pin to your Home Decor board on Pinterest