Are you a DIYer at heart but need a little nudge? The beginners guide to DIY decor is that nudge. Today we are going back to basics.
Falling In Love With DIY Decor
When I became a young mom Martha Stewart was at the top of her game. Home Depot was the new kid on the block and I couldn’t get enough of House and Home. It was DIY heaven and I relished in it. I learned a ton and I love DIYing as much today as I did back then.
Decor is the ideal way to create the perfect ambiance. It transforms the mundane into the spectacular. Those around you feel special and cared for and it elevates everyone’s mood. But it can be expensive to redecorate.
DIY decor is the perfect solution. It makes achieving your dream home possible because it’s nicer on the wallet and it allows you to customize to your style needs. Plus, it’s just fun!
What is DIY Decor?
DIY decor simply means decor that you made.
This can be as simple as spray painting a vase to as complicated as a full kitchen makeover. It is most often used in the home and in our outdoor spaces. DIYing is also very practical for creating decor for the holidays, the changing of seasons, and for large or small parties.
Common Misconceptions about DIY Decor
There are common misconceptions when it come to DIY home decorating. The following answers these questions.
Yes, you can save money by doing it yourself, but quality is key. It takes time to do it right and you have to be patient. Just remember, take your time and enjoy the process. After all, your home should be a reflection of you and your unique style.
The Beginner’s Guide To DIY Decor Basics
- Educate yourself a bit. There are a ton of online resources (besides this site) that can teach you new DIY skills and are wonderful for inspiration.
- Start dreaming and collecting ideas. Pinterest is a fantastic place to get ideas, as are magazines, and Google search. I still like to keep a binder of clippings for inspiration but most often I use my computer to create my inspiration boards and Pinterest is my number one place to store and organize ideas.
- Invest in a few DIY basics. Of course there are a number of tools and products that can make your DIYing easier but you don’t need to rush out and purchase them all at once. As you become more confident you will undoubtedly create your own mental list of products and tools that you just can’t live without but for now a few basics like a paint brush, paint, scissors and a glue gun can go a long way.
- Lastly, you need a little bravery. The occasional failure is a given. Just take the plunge and try.
Success as a DIYer comes when you love the things that you create.
The Beginners Guide To DIY Decor Tips For Success
- Be willing to try new things
- Be curious and learn about colours, textures, period furniture
- Learn new techniques and tools that will enhance your skills
- Seek inspiration and education on various social media platforms and on Pinterest
- Be willing to make mistakes and don’t give up trying
- Seek beauty and inspiration in your surroundings
Common Questions About DIY Decor
People often ask me how to get started with DIY home decorating. And it’s a fair question! After all, there are so many options and possibilities out there, it can be overwhelming to know where to begin. But don’t worry, it’s not as difficult as it seems. Here are a few of the beginners guide to DIY decor tips to get you started:
Tools To Start With
Jenny’s Finishing Thoughts on the Beginners Guide to DIY Decor
To want a beautiful home that reflects your taste and style is human. A certain pride comes from knowing it was your own two hands that made your home and its decor beautiful. By starting small and steadily growing your skills you will be decorating your home like a pro in no time. Pinky promise.
Let me know in the comments below why you started DIYing or why you are interested in starting to create your own DIY decor.
Did you find this post helpful or inspirational? Save This Pin to your DIY Decor board on Pinterest.